GVPD preps for fall semester
Security in place for first football game
As students move back to campus and adjust to college life, the Grand Valley State University Police Department (GVPD) is also prepping for the fall semester.
Though GVPD does not take a summer vacation, they use that time to make changes and adjustments to better suit the university population. One of these changes has come in the form of football game preparation.
The Laker football team will open its 2015 season at home on Thursday, Sept. 3, against Southwest Baptist University. The 7 p.m. game at Lubbers Stadium means changes to on-campus parking and other elements for students, faculty and staff members.
For the first time since 2011, GVSU will host their opening home game on a Thursday. The game was scheduled on a weekday to allow students to attend the first football game and still be able to go home for the Labor Day weekend if they choose.
"We want to ensure that everything runs smoothly so that the game can be enjoyed in a safe manner," GVPD police Capt. Brandon DeHaan said. "This is also an important event for freshmen so they can cheer for their team and bond with the student body."
In preparation for the Thursday game, there will be additional busing to accommodate spectators. On this day only, students with a commuter pass will be allowed to park in residential lots.
"Student commuters are encouraged to use the Rapid Park and Ride to reduce traffic on this day," DeHaan said.
Another change that will be seen at football games this year is a separate line at entry dedicated to checking approved bags that spectators bring to the game. It is hoped that this extra line will help regulate traffic in a more efficient manner.
"Our goal at these games is to have high visibility for student security," DeHaan said. "We want to provide a safe environment for students to have a good time.
Information on Thursday parking:
• Faculty/staff parking lots
Lot C East and Lot F will be open until noon; Lot G will be open until 4 p.m. Lots D1 and D3 will be open the entire day; Lot C West and Lot E will be closed the entire day.
• Student day parking
Students are encouraged to ride the Campus Connector; more buses will run from 5 p.m. until after the football game.
Lot J will be available for commuters; off-campus shuttles will run from that lot to the Kirkhof Center.
Lots H, K, D4 and D8 will be available but without shuttle transportation.
• Student evening parking
Lot J will be available, with service by off-campus shuttles. Lots H, K, D4 and D8 will be available but without shuttle transportation.
• Fan parking
Fans are encouraged to park free and ride the shuttle buses from Rapid stops along the Campus Connector route.
Lots C East, C, F, and G will be paid parking beginning at 4 p.m.
- Single seat chair backs (can only take up one seat)
- Binoculars (without case)
- Cell phones and pagers
- Small cameras and radios (without case)
- Blankets and rain apparel
- Strollers (must not take up an additional seat)
- Soft Sided bags/purses/diaper bags no larger than
18 x 14 x 4. Duffle bags NOT allowed.
- Alcohol is PROHIBITED in Lubbers Stadium
- Containers of any kind including aerosol and spray cans
- Umbrellas, flags, and flagpoles
- Outside beverages or food of any kind
- Cameras with a lens more than 6” in length
- Coolers, thermoses, cups, bottles, cans, flasks, water,
- Camcorders and tripods
- Pets (excludes disability assistance animals)
- Artificial Noisemakers, unless distributed by GVSU
- Promotional items (such as: Towels, Sack Packs, Drawstring Bags, Koozies, Mini Footballs, Tote Bags and Frisbees) unless distributed by GVSU Athletics or approved partners.
Prohibited items must be taken back to your vehicle or trashed, security will not store/watch them at the stadium.
SMOKING - Smoking is prohibited inside Lubbers Stadium
NO RE-ENTRY – A ticket is needed for entry back into the stadium