GVSU playoff information
GVSU to host Texas A&M Commerce Saturday, Nov. 26
GVL / Courtesy - Doug Witte Urston Smith (10) pulls down the football during the game at SVSU on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016.
This Thanksgiving, save a little room. That extra serving of mashed potatoes? Leave it. That half a pan of green bean casserole? Abstain. When grandma offers up some famous pumpkin pie? Save it for later.
Because there's a big helping of playoff football this Saturday, Nov. 26.
GVSU will face No. 4 seed Texas A&M Commerce this Saturday, which defeated No. 5 seed Colorado Mesa 34-23 in the first round Saturday, Nov. 19.
Some info about GVSU's opponent:
- Texas A&M Commerce is the No. 8 team in the AFCA Coaches' Poll. GVSU has been No. 2 since the beginning of the season.
- The Lions are 11-1 this season. Their only loss came at the hands of conference foe Midwestern State, 26-25 on Oct. 8.
- They have won six games in a row, and have scored 30 points or more in each of those games.
- They are led by junior quarterback Luis Perez. He has 3,007 yards, 29 touchdowns and just three interceptions on the season.
What you need to know for Saturday:
- Student tickets are free.
- GVSU coach Matt Mitchell is strongly encouraging fans to come to the game.
- The game is at 1 p.m. at Lubbers Stadium.
- Should GVSU win, they will play the winner of Ferris State and Colorado Mines at Lubbers Stadium Dec. 3.
- If GVSU were to win that game, they would also likely host the national semifinal. The last four teams remaining in the bracket get reseeded, and the top two seeds host. With GVSU being the No. 2 team in the country overall, it is likely they would garner one of these spots, if it gets that far.